Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Warning: Plot Spoiler

Dear Nan,
before you go any further I must warn you that I have posted a couple of photos of the CD that will be on its way to you and your little loveys in just a day or two. Of course, if you're like me and enjoy peeling back a corner of the wrapping paper - just behind the ribbon where no one will ever know what you've done - then by all means come on in and have a little look.






A snip of thrifted pillowcase, a bit of ticking cotton, a pair of vintage buttons, stitch, stitch, stich, some wobbly embroidery, et voila: a CD envelope. Now I am not a pattern follower. I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants crafter. But I am also a bit of a perfectionist and if you're thinking that those two qualities do not mix, well you'd be right. At some point in every project I am ready to chuck it all in the trash can recycle bin. So a confession: I botched the first CD envelope, the one pictured here, and I remade it last night a bit tidier: I embroidered before I sewed in the lining so the knot of stitches is hidden. I am not a neat embroiderer. Correction, I am not an embroiderer at all and goodness knows my grandmother would be appalled by my handiwork here, but what I lack in skill I make up in speed, and I quite like the way it looks all the same.

In case you're wondering what all this swapping business is about, I am making a CD for Nan's kids and she is making one for mine. Nan lives in Sydney. We've never met. But I know from our mutual disdain for The Wiggles and her funny and very pretty blog that if we were neighbours we'd be baking lemon squares for the school bake sale together. And probably arm-wrestling over vintage children's books and Japanese tableware at the thrift store.

The swap was organized by Tracy, an ex-pat now living in California, the lucky devil. I do so love the Internet.

2 comments:

Burgin Streetman said...

Great stuff! I love your site! Keep it up....

Anonymous said...

Does that count as my fifteen minutes?? If so, I'm glad it was here. As far as arm-wrestling goes I must warn you that I have a particularly gifted right forearm!
PS Did you get the plate?
N x