Friday, September 07, 2007

meet my hoosier




I fell in love with the hoosier last Sunday. Isn't it a beauty? Despite what you may think, my house isn't especially vintage-y. Stella's room is the exception. The rest is mid-century garage sale with a dash of Ikea. So I really had no idea where the hoosier was going to go but I knew I had to have it and that I would not regret its purchase. While I would love to use it to bake pies and clip recipes and plan girl scout jamborees I needed to find for it a more practical purpose. Happily it turned out to be a lovely new home for my laptop and office-y stuff. Everything fits just so, and aesthetically it's a vast improvement over the sawhorse table I've been using as a desk for 15 years.

The books, by the way, are originals from the Honeybunch series by Helen Louise Thorndyke. In case you've ever wondered, that's where the name of my shop came from. At the time I was mulling over a bunch of different names but nothing stuck until I stumbled across Honeybunch visits the City at a flea market and something about the combination of silly and sweet (who names their kid Honeybunch?) got to me. Turns out her real name was Gertrude Marion Morton, but Mr. Morton declared it unfitting for a girl so possessed of sunshine and renamed her Bunch of Sweetness, later shortened to Honeybunch. I like it.

Looks like another super-wonderful weekend is upon us. I am checking out early to enjoy it and get ready for the inaugural meeting of the park rejuvenation committee, chez moi. Much to talk about next week. Enjoy your weekend friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am jumping around with excitement that:
a. have discovered a new fabbo blog (am seriously liking your style);
b. that you are my kids' cd swap buddy.
Hurrah!
My email address is nanette@eliosha.com & my blog is rummage@typepad.com. Could you send me your email address? Ta. Talk soon.
x Nan

Jessie said...

I need to know more about that darling calendar!!!

Nicole Morell said...

Hello Jessie! The calendar is by Nikki McClure. It's lovely, isn't it?