Monday, September 17, 2007

Letter of the Day: H

"The value of an idea has nothing whatever to do with the sincerity of the man who expresses it." - Oscar Wilde

Oh that Mr. Wilde. He always has my number. Barely two days after my plasticky junk rant, look what moved into the house:



A rare Sunday morning garage sale. In my defense, I had nothing to do with this purchase. It was made while I was happily forking over three bucks for this:



And in that short interlude with my back turned, Mr. Honeybunch bought a talking purple vaccuum cleaner. Oh yes, the saucy so-and-so does have quite a bit to say about the state of the house. I might not object if thing actually had a bit of suction, but, no, all it does is judge: "we must clean up this dust!" "let's clean up this mess!" and my favourite, "This place is a pig sty!"

Some battles are uphill all the way. A bit of fortification, however, in the form of this article in the weekend Globe. A *slow* clothes movement. Yes! Yes to quality. Yes to integrity. Yes to buying less but enjoying it more. The purple vacuum? I may be an idealist but I'm no fool: It'll probably outlive us all. I may very well hand it down to Stella's kids as a prized family heirloom. I'm not saying no to plastic. I'm saying no to this:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG it is the silly Mc D's toy!!! YUCK I thought I had seen the last of that little bugger. Grandma (on Dad's side of coures) goes to Mc D's 3 times a week after dance class and feels the need to save all the toys and drop them off in bags for my girls. Like they need 20 of these things.
Oh the horror.

Anonymous said...

Our kids meal toys magically disappear during Ellie's naps -- if they didn't, I know they'd multiply in our toy boxes. However, I did give in to the Madame Alexander Wizard of Oz toys, dutifully going through the McD's drive-thru weekly to complete the collection. Unfortunately, our McD's ran out early so I ended up finishing our collection on ebay. UGH. I was so disappointed in myself for giving in, but the delight on my daughter's face when the Tin Man and Scarecrow arrived (temporarily) erased my self-disgust.