Friday, September 21, 2007

i've got to be me


It is Friday and it is oh so warm and sunny, so I know I am not the only one who wants to yell doodlydoodlydoo at the top of her lungs, swing round a lamp post, kick off her shoes and sit on the porch with a frosty glass of something or other. I am extra enthusiastic today because it has been a long week filled with meetings of one kind or another. A week of too many spreadsheets and a dusty calculator. A week that was far too dull and yet incredibly exciting at the same time. But more on that another time. Today I am happy to just get my hands dirty again. The plague of wasps that kept me from painting any furniture for the past six weeks seems to be over, and so today the driveway is filled with 3 dressers, 1 cabinet, and several chairs all getting a lick of paint and a new lease on life. Cleaning, scraping, sanding, priming and painting a tatty old bureau might not be everyone's idea of a good time, but I love a makeover. I've decided to not take on any more custom orders for furniture. Painting all of my stuff white started to feel more like production - especially when I had to cover an amazing turquoise or candy pink I'd already done - and I really missed the fun of picking a shade that seemed to really suit the piece. It may sound silly but I take a lot of time deciding on colours. I like to get it right. So today I've decided on rain slicker yellow for the chairs, robin's egg blue for one dresser, lavender for another and a watermelon pink night table. I may be alone in my opinion, but I think the world needs less white and a little more oompah-pah.

Happy weekend friends

2 comments:

Unknown said...

these colour decisions come from a subliminal level and they're always right - i approach colour in the same way - itry not to use my brain - it's almost a "taste" - what goes with what? it may take a little longer to sell the piece but it will definitely go to the right person.

Anonymous said...

This is obviously the place to extend one's vocabulary. Oompah-pah is the word of the week for me!
Have a great weekend.
PS Love the sound of the colours!