Sunday, January 20, 2008

a piece of quiet




By accident not by design, which somehow makes it all the better, I am alone in the house this afternoon. Even better, there is nothing I have to do. There's the laundry of course - there is always the laundry - but having had the gift of nothingness dropped in my lap I don't intend to waste it with busywork. I'm enjoying the quiet. No music. No television. Just the wind at the window and a pipe in the wall making a rhythmic popping sound that on any other day would have gone unnoticed. I was reminded to tell you about this new photo blog I'm enjoying: the noticing project. It inspired me to walk through this quiet house, not looking for things to do, just looking. This odd little diorama caught my eye. That power ranger better watch out.


p.s.
Thank you to those who left comments and those who registered their crib preference - very helpful! I will keep you posted as I head into round two of the buying spree next week at the annual gift show.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I LOVE the gift of quiet, especially when it comes unexpectedly. Glad you got it. Sometimes I drive home from work with the radio off to deal with the sensory overload that comes from teaching 8th graders. Cute diorama photo. I'll have to check out the noticing project myself.

heather smith jones said...

I'm so glad you had some quiet time and noticed things around you.
Thank you for the mention about our Noticing Project. We appreciate your visit!

angelique said...

I love those found scenes of abandoned play. Yesterday I found three toy horses lined up looking out Iris' window. When I asked her about them later, she told me they were "grazing in the meadow."

Glad you made the most of your alone and quiet time. I'm having some right now and it is lovely.