Thursday, January 24, 2008

a clutch


"No kisses please. Only stickers. Because I am a robot."

I don't know what it means either, but that kid does make me laugh.

Two sewing books arrived on my doorstep this week: Amy Karol's, which you see here, and Amy Butler's which is also excellent but in a different way. I suggest both, as does amazon.ca, and if you're looking to spend $39 to get the free shipping then I also give Jessica Seinfeld's stealth vegetable cookbook a nod. The french toast with a dollop of sweet potato puree went over without a hitch this morning. I feel triumphant.

Back to sewing. A dear, wacky friend who happens to share my birthday is throwing a proper birthday bash tomorrow night. Guitar Hero has been mentioned. A keg might be involved. Maybe spin the bottle. I really couldn't say. Her parties are always a little off-kilter and always fun. I made this slouchy clutch to hold her gift. I love using beautiful fabric for wrapping. It's like a little gift in itself, don't you think? I followed the pattern for the Artsy Pouch, which happens to be the cover project, but I completely botched the lining part and had to improvise a folded over cuff to get it finished. I'm still happy with it. I liked the suggestion of cotton flannel lining to give it a nice poofy feel and bit of body. I also scaled the pattern up slightly, and ended up using about two quarter yards of fabric. A fabbo project for $8 and an hour's work I'd say.

I'm shuffling off to Buffalo for the day. Happy weekend friends.

4 comments:

melissa deakin said...

gorgeous!
i'd say the clutch is a gift in itself as well.
i love how you improvised with the fold over cuff...adds extra beauty.
have a great time at the party.
i'd love to know where you shop when you come to town!

Nicole Morell said...

Hi Melissa! Funny, I thought about you today as I crossed the border for my monthly business-no-pleasure run. I wondered where you shop! Any good fabric places to share?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nicole! I hope tomorrow is extra fun.

xo Rita

angelique said...

Happy birthday to you!