Monday, October 29, 2007

woke up this morning, smiled at the rising sun



A wonderful package from the wonderful Nan arrived the other day. I haven't stopped humming this song since. So sweet and warm and so good to sing to sleepy babes. You must go, now, and find it. While you're at it, search for Jack Johnson's We're going to be Friends, Thrift Shop by Dan Zanes & Sandra Bernhard and Hello by The Cat Empire. So, so good. See, kids music doesn't have to be manic (and annoying) or syrupy (and annoying).

Love the CD cover art (I'm a sucker for boys in bow ties) and the little ponytail holders made from vintage buttons. Perfection. Thank you Nan. And thank you Tracy for being an excellent matchmaker. I know me and Nan are going to be friends.

Other obsessions this weekend were food, hats and babysitters. Breakfast at The Red Cabin, our local greasy spoon diner, where we were joined by friends with kids. Took over two corner booths and we rocked the place out with noise, musical chairs, pancake syrup and one or two cups of spilled orange juice. We left a good tip. We're recent converts to the joy of paying for a babysitter instead of calling in favours, trades and bribes. The price of freedom is $50 but oh-so worth it. Off we went to lunch on College Street with (different) friends, but first a stop here to buy my guy a new chapeau for his birthday. A dashing wool plaid fedora for him, a cozy Elmer Fudd-style hunter's cap for me and, I'm not ashamed, a brown, pink and white plaid hat also for me. I am all about the win-win lately. Lest we ever feel actually hungry, the day ended with a Bavarian feast for 20 at my in-laws. The Austrian side of the family had gathered to toast Tante Kristl visting from Salzberg. An honest-to-god film projector and big old screen were set up and we arrived just as the old home movies came on. I got to see my fella as a five year old. It was magic.

No comments: