Thursday, October 25, 2007




I believe that paying attention to common civilities is the key to a happy marriage. So I don't make a big deal out of the little things that might drive other people crazy. Things like an Imelda Marcos-worthy shoe collection (his) and a wardrobe so vast (his) it's taken over the marital closet, two over flow wardrobes and is now, of all things, sneaking into the coat closet. Oh no, I let these things go without comment. And then I quietly phone the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy (416-244-0899) and they quietly send over a truck to pick up whatever no longer fits in the closet. They put used goods to good use. So everyone's happy. It's a real win-win situation.

The other secret to a happy marriage is not ever putting Justin Timberlake on your husband's iPod. Not even in a secret sub-folder playlist only you know about it. He will find it and it will be embarrassing.

3 comments:

angelique said...

Now all the marital secrets are out! The fact that your husband has a big wardrobe reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He was always very well-dressed, and one time when I was buying a gift for my father, I found myself behind him in line in the men's department of a big clothing store. "Will I see you in those pants at work tomorrow?" I asked. "Oh no," he said. "I have to hide them from my wife! Then, after a while, I'll wear them, and she'll say, [accusing tone] are those new? And I'll say, no, I've had them for a while." Cracked me up.

Sorry for the over-long comment but sometimes an anecdote will out!

Sondra said...

This is great! Something I must remember next time all the fishing gear is in the middle of the foyer!

Rose said...

Just found your blog and love it! My husband has more clothes than me but I have the biggest shoe collection. He would so love your chalkboard. Also, in reading your back-posts (is that a word?) thought you may like reading the book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", if you haven't already done so. Have a good Friday!