Tuesday, October 30, 2007

beautiful book week begins


Inspired by beautiful book week over at Abby's and encouraged by Nan's thoughtful entries, I've decided to join the fun. Unlike others posting on this subject, I don't have many home dec or Japanese craft books, but I do have quite the collection of children's books from the '50s and '60s, so it is some of my favourite storybooks that I will share with you. Herewith, entry #1: Petunia's Christmas.

Now, you may not believe it, but I actually remember when and where I bought most of my books. Petunia was found three years ago at this church bazaar, and though the sale was in spring and this is a Christmas book, Stella and I loved it straight away and Petunia is in year round rotation on the bedtime story reading list. It's a delightful and odd little story about Petunia, a pet goose living happily on a farm. One wintry day she toddles off on a walk in the woods and ends up at a neighbouring farm where a sweet-talking gander is held captive:

"Good day, my name is Charles. You are pretty. Who are you?"
"I am Petunia. You are handsome."
"I am too fat," sighed Charles. "Being fattened for Christmas. Alas I fear I'll be roasted and served with apple sauce."




The plot thickens when Charles pleads with Petunia to help him escape. Petunia, smitten, returns to her farm to plan a jail break. It involves make-up and paint. You'll have to read that part.



It doesn't work. Petunia, a resourceful bird, decides she'll go legit and buy Charles' freedom from the farmer. Off she goes dressed as Santa to panhandle in town.



But the city folk are too busy to notice the poor goose. Ever the crafty, entrepreneurial, love-struck bird (this is where I really bonded with her) Petunia decides to make beautiful pine wreaths, paper angels and Christmas trees to sell in town. She's a hit.




Things get exciting again when Petunia realizes it's Christmas Eve and Charles is in mortal danger:

" At last she had enough money. But was it too late now? Christmas was so near. Petunia almost flew to Windy Farm with a bag full of coins. Oh joy! Charles was still there, in his yard. The farmer and his wife opened their eyes big as Christmas tree balls when Petunia offered the bag of coins in exchange for Charles' freedom. The farmer's wife wiped her eyese with the corner of her apron when she thought of Petunia's devotion."

A happy ending.



Bravo Roger Duvoisin, who wrote and illustrated Petunia in 1952. It makes me happy.

No comments: