Friday, June 29, 2007

party time





It's a Canada Day party, yes, but after a fruitless search for cute red and white fabric - gingham, cherries, seersucker, anything - in the end I decided on yellow. I get so much use out of this $2 daisy-print sheet that I can't believe I once almost chopped it into an apron. The other tablecloths were picked up here and there. The first vintage tablecloth I bought was this faded blue and white one. I think I paid about $30 for it at Aberfoyle - which I figured was a pretty good deal until I discovered you can scoop them for $5 bucks at Value Village.

Sunday, the bowl will be heaping with fresh cherries, the cake stands laden with butter tarts and strawberry-rhubarb pie from the farmer's market and, god willing, a home-baked lemon cake. I'm still feeling pretty chilled; enjoying the blue skies and sunshine and trying not to think too hard about the five heads of cabbage in the fridge waiting to be turned into coleslaw. I'm signing off for a couple of days, to enjoy the beautiful weather, the company of my family and friends and to raise a glass of something fruity and fizzy. Happy Canada Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Canada Day indeed! I love your pics-- those prints are so summery and cheerful. They're just begging for a pitcher of fizzy fruity drink to sit on them. :) And I just found your blog. Will be visiting regularly!