Friday, June 01, 2007

mother-daughter outfits and other crimes of fashion


Summer in Toronto is a funny thing. Its arrival is usually so tentative. A two-steps forward, one-step back and perhaps a side shuffle. Sort of a meteorological bait-and-switch. But for now summer is here and, though others may complain, I could not be happier. Give me humidity. Give me steamy. Give me wispy breezes that swirl over bare legs and arms. And, oh yes, lazy Fridays. You see, just because I'm self-employed does not mean I don't enjoy goofing off a little come the week end. By noon thoughts of our July 1 party had me browsing for cookout recipes. I never expected to find sartorial inspiration in a cookbook but there it was. I've been thinking about making matching skirts for me + Stella all week. This photo from Amy Sedaris' book was the encouragement I needed. Is that a wig?

By 3:30 I had one adorable little twirly skirt (tutorial here) and got started on the mama version, which I intend to finish this evening.[UPDATE: the maxi version is finished - see photos] Though I'm delighted, Stella is thoroughly unimpressed because A) I did not use the Spiderman fabric she requested and B) there are no pockets, so the twirly skirts may never actually be worn in tandem. But I am going to insist on a portrait. I imagine it will look very much like this one.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My 3 year old has been begging me to make her a Spiderman twirly skirt. She says that then she could wear it with her costume and be Spidergirl.