Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Zen and the Art of Bundt Cake


On a day when there was much to do (a writing deadline, things to paint, things to pack) I baked a cake instead. The bundt pan from a few weeks ago had taken up residence on the kitchen counter and was flagranting violating the one thing in/one out rule. Something had to be done so I thought I'd test drive the bundt pan and make a lemon poke cake for the new neighbours. I imagined it would turn out looking something like this.

It is a big pan. I waited hours (the Zen part) for it to cool off so I could flip it onto a cake stand for the big reveal before dusting it with icing sugar and basking in the glow of another very satisfying procrastination. Something went wrong, but I really couldn't say what. I greased and floured the pan but the cake was good and stuck, and no amount of gentle coaxing, tapping or shaking could shift it. Defeat. In the end I had to tear fistfuls of moist, lemony sponge with my bare hands. There was quite a pile of cake.

Being too cheap thrifty to throw it all out, I tossed pieces into little bowls with some beautiful fresh berries and creme fraiche. It was so good.

No comments: