Monday, January 01, 2007

a fine year



I can think of no better way to ring in the new year than in the company of good friends. It was a cozy night at home. Babes asleep (almost on schedule), comfy clothes, delicious food (a bit chilly to be manning the barbeque, but what the heck) and the perfect opportunity to open the bottle of Brunello we brought back from Italy years ago and forgot about until recently. If you're a porterhouse fan, I highly recommend this tasty accompaniment which I got from Amy Sedaris' very funny new cookbook:

Red Wine Steak Butter
Rub a frying pan with a garlic clove or two, discard (the garlic part is my idea)
Saute 4 minced scallions in 2 tbls of butter until soft and almost golden
Add 1/2 cup dry red wine, simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup
Put in refrigerator for 10 minutes or so to cool off slightly
Stir in a stick of room temperature butter
Spoon over grilled steaks

A wonderful night. A wonderful year. I feel grateful.

2006 was the year I was finally able to say I'm self-employed. 100%. My little shop, thanks to you, dear friends, became a real business. It's thrilling to be able to do something I love, love, love and be able to work on my own terms, even or maybe especially, when that means staying up until 2 am every night for a week to ship 400 pairs of BabyLegs. So thank you very much indeed for your encouragement, your positive feedback and for shopping with me. Good things coming in 2007. Happy New Year!

No comments: