Tuesday, January 30, 2007

all yellow

Henry's lunch of wholewheat couscous, egg yolk and steamed broccoli. Banana chunks and blueberries for dessert. Yummy goodness. I've been in a sweet potato-and-grilled-chicken funk lately, but I was inspired to try something new after my conversation yesterday with Lulu Cohen-Farnell, founder of Real Food for Real Kids.

Lulu is the French-born founder of a fantastic little catering outfit that provides pro-organic, pro-healthy, pro-natural foods to enlightened Toronto daycares. Things like Morrocan chicken, quinoa, wholewheat cookies, tilapia filets. Quite a departure from the saucy, meaty, processed fare on the typical daycare menu. I remember picking up Stella from her (otherwise excellent, I should add) daycare one afternoon and seeing Timbits under "snack" on her little menu card.

So I joined the daycare's board of directors at the first opportunity. Fresh fruit everyday (why why why are our kids being served tinned fruit at all but especially at the height of summer?) and getting rid of the croissants, waffles, muffins and trans-fats laden baked goods are my legacy. There are something like 500 daycare centres in TO; Lulu serves 42. Lucky kids. She doesn't cold call centres, she believes change should come from parent pressure. And she's right. Call her. She'll fire you up.

No comments: