Thursday, November 01, 2007

retreat


Man, I'm telling you Nikki McClure has my number. Every month I look forward to turning the calendar over. I'm amazed at her illustrations - each one cut with an x-acto knife from a single piece of paper. But it's her phrasing, her commands that get me every time. They always seem to perfectly reflect how I'm feeling. Capsize. Equal parts perfect surrender and loss of control. We are escaping tomorrow. Our November family retreat to the beach. Gathering up the loose ends always exhausts me, but even more so this year with the opening of the studio mere weeks away. I haven't talked much about it, this grand project of mine. In part because I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work and money required to bring this business of mine to life, and in part because, I'm feeling protective about it all. Not quite ready to share. I had this same feeling with my babies. Not quite ready to share them with the world, I preferred a quiet cocoon to a carnival of visitors. A chance to adjust to the newness. Now I do, of course, hope I have many, many visitors when the shop opens next month. And I will have more to say and more to show you about its progress, once I've adjusted to the newness.

Bon voyage friends

1 comment:

angelique said...

Bon voyage to you, too! I hope you are having a marvelous vacation (as pictures attest) and look forward to seeing the results of all this productivity!