Tuesday, November 27, 2007

crafty goodness


I spent a couple of hours this morning at the One of a Kind show helping my sister-in-law, a cardmaker and paper arts instructor, set up her booth. Carmi's on the corner toward the end of aisle O, if you go. Her cards are 4 for $20, which is quite the deal, when you learn how she labours over each one.

I also bought a beautiful shadow box type of display shelf in a lovely matte cherry wood from here. It will be perfect. Somewhere. So many lovely things at the show. The One of a Kind is de rigueur on the handmade circuit, representing the rock stars of the craft world. I also rely on Toronto Craft Alert for a listing of all the low-key crafty events and fairs in town. It's incredible how much the whole craft *scene* has grown here in the last couple of years. I may not have to move to Portland afterall.

Thinking about teacher's gifts...waiting for inspiration. Feeling like I want to bake something but I can't commit to the clean-up part this afternoon. There was a three-ingredient shortbread recipe at the back of Canadian Family magazine this month. I'm skeptical but tempted. How much mess can three ingredients make?

1 lb butter
1 cup fruit sugar
4 cups flour

Cream butter + sugar. Add 3 cups flour. Place on a warm board (what does that mean? any bakers out there?) and knead in remaining flour. Roll to 1 cm thick; cut. Bake on parchment-covered sheet at 275 for 30 minutes.

No comments: