Tuesday, August 07, 2007

harbingers


So much fall stuff in my mailbox today has me feeling maudlin. That and coming nose to nose with a human-sized papier mache witch this morning. Good grief. Halloween? Already? The way some folks anxiously scan the mirror searching for fine lines, furrows and age spots, I search for signs that summer is drawing to end. I almost will it to be over, I think, with all my worry and preoccupation. It's not that I don't like fall. I do. But fall brings winter. And winter is one season I have never come to terms with. I will say that should I actually one day find a snow-covered town nestled in snow-covered rolling hills, a town that looks something like the one in the opening scene of Lady and the Tramp, then I might be persuaded to buy a fur-lined muff and take up ice skating. Just maybe. I have high hopes for this December mini-break. Carolers just melt my heart.

Thank you Karen and Rita for your shop-filling suggestions. My quest to make honeybunch a thoroughly modern mercantile and indie boutique continues. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh I totally relate regarding winter. We are Northwest natives living just across the water from you in Buffalo and the winters are so depressing especially with two little ones who don't like the cold either. Days go by without leaving the house which isn't our style at all. I just recently discovered your blog and am enjoying it.

Kate said...

it is interesting the difference in people's desires for certain seasons. I long for winter to come... I long for big wool sweaters and wool socks, curling up on the couch with a cup of cocoa or steamer and listening to Joni while watching the snow fall out the window. Or running outside on the first snowfall to feel it on your arms and stick your tongue in the air to catch the first flakes... when I was a kid we would even grab goggles so we could stare up without the snow falling in our eyes... since I was raised in Alaska I suppose my ramblings make some sort of sense... try and think of it as warming with the sweaters and hot drinks, warming the soul...
thanks for the nice thoughts, nice to know that each of the seasons are loved by someone, if not us...

Nicole Morell said...

Nice to meet you both! Wool socks and cocoa and gingerbread houses and beautiful twilight snowfalls are surely the best parts of winter. It's snowsuits, the windchill factor and grey skies that get me down.

Thank you for dropping by.
xo
Nicole