Thursday, August 09, 2007

felt town




"Welcome to the Soft City. Population: everyone. The Soft City is an ongoing plush and felt city that is made by both children and the imaginative. It has been exhibited at the Power Plant, Fort York, The Gladstone Hotel, as part of Doors Open, and in the fall will be at Toronto City Hall. This year we are exhibiting the work at the CNE, in a partnership with the Design exchange and the Art Gallery of Ontario, where we will be running child and family-focused workshops. The public will have the opportunity to contribute to our ever-growing city. The entire city will be exhibited."

Oh how I love this project! I heard about this sweet and fun and excellent collective craft project over here - a very good weekly update on all the crafty happenings in Toronto, by the way. I'm excited to see see the felt city in person, and maybe have the chance to add a building to the landscape. Something mushroom-shaped, if they'll let me. The Secret World of Og captured my eight-year old fancy like no other book, and my idea of architectural heaven has been wonky little mushroom homes ever since.

The clever and crafty group behind the soft city are looking for volunteers to help with the family workshops during the CNE run. Could be fun. And, I'm guessing here, but I imagine you'd get free admission into the fair as well. Sounds fun. If interested, go to www.softcity.org for info.

No comments: