Thursday, July 26, 2007

ta da



Six hours earlier...



200 or so volunteers were split into groups and assigned tasks like this...

and this...


It was entirely random, I swear, that I was assigned to the group building these planter benches - a comparatively easy task. Luck of the draw people, luck of the draw.


The organization was impressive: a shady kids' area with crafts.

A very popular lemonade stand...


And good spirits all around. A great day. I brought Stella later in the day to show her what I helped build. She has a vague and peculiar idea of what it is I "do" generally, and I'm sure this only added to the confusion but I believe she was impressed:
"You built those benches mom? Really? You're a good builder."
Silence.
"And you're a good whack-a-mole player." High praise indeed.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

fantastic!! ok - i am off to learn more about organizing something like this... any pointers?

Nicole Morell said...

Two things I noticed were lots of corporate support - in this case Build-a-Bear funded a huge chunk through Kaboom and the need to have a small but very dedicated committee to keep things on track. The five women who organized this project worked serious hours on it, but they were able to accomplish in less than 1 year what takes other groups 2-3 years to do.

They also worked with several different groups - Kaboom, city council, parks/rec, the local home owners association and even did door to door canvassing to build awareness and support for the park. I don't think you can count on neighbours and individuals to raise such a large amount of money; you've got to go to local businesses. Keep me posted on your plans Tracy!