Thursday, July 26, 2007

it can only mean one thing



Ignoring for a moment the baking of brownies in the middle of the afternoon, two posts in one day can only mean one thing: a deadline. Tearing apart the basement at midnight is another sign of the procrastinator. And I really must say, that despite what I've been lead to believe by professional organizers, I experienced none of the promised exultation after unloading six bags of clothes at GoodWill this morning. Quite the opposite, really. I am lamenting giving away that still very good Club Monaco pencil skirt and several pairs of very nice trousers (size 4). Ahem.

But back to the brownies. They are for my dear mother-in-law, whose birthday it is today. Now I've given this whole baking from scratch thing its due. My grandmother was a brilliant baker. One of those women who could effortlessly turn out flaky, melt in your mouth pastry without even the aid of a recipe. So good. I have inherited the desire to bake and make things by hand, but not so much the skill. But with the blessing of a chef friend, who, while consoling me after the second birthday cake flop, assured me that no one can tell the difference between a cake from scratch and one from a box (it's all in the icing, which must be homemade) I am a Duncan Hines evangelical. Never mind cute Betty Crocker - DH is my go-to brand. Except when it comes to brownies. And then you really must try PC's Organic Brownie mix. The ingredient list reads: organic cane sugar, organic flour, organic cocoa, baking powder and salt. I couldn't improve on that. I will caution you, if you're so inclined to whip up a batch, that it is a toothsome brownie. Very dense with a dark and chewy crumb. But so very good.

And so we are off now to granny's house. Warm and lovely brownies and a big pink present in hand. The deadline moves closer. But I do my best work under pressure.

No comments: