Wednesday, December 06, 2006


I love these soft felt trees. It's my first sewing-actual-fabric-with-seam-allowances project since, well, since that failed corduroy vest in Mrs. McEchearn's Home Economics Class in 1981. I put popcorn in the bottom to hold them steady (the pattern from Stephanie at Little Birds calls for rice or lentils but I was impatient to finish once the end was in sight and popcorn was the first suitable thing I could find in the pantry).


Funneling popcorn kernels into a 1" opening is a task best approached with a Zen calm. That's all I'll say. But making the trees was fun and I'm quite chuffed with how they turned out. I'm contemplating making some more embellished versions out of a lovely navy plaid wool fabric from the thrift store. Soft trees for everyone! Check out other versions of the trees at this Flickr group.

On another note, I cannot believe this story, which I first heard about on Little Birds, hasn't been all over the Canadian media. My heart leapt when I learned Kati Kim and her daughters were found safe yesterday and my thoughts are with them as they continue the search for James. Please let him be found safe.

No comments: