Thursday, December 21, 2006

it's a marshmallow world





The results of our gingerbread-making afternoon at Loblaws. It's making the house smell delicious. And making me long for snow.

Of course not all is icing sugar and candy drops chez moi. Swiper the Fox (or was it Diego?) was flushed down the toilet under mysterious circumstances the other day. Despite our determination to ignore the rather obvious problem in the hope it would work itself out, three days without a functioning loo upstairs will eventually cause someone to cry uncle. I blinked. One emergency run to the plumbing aisle at Canadian Tire later and we've added something called a toilet auger to the cache of household tools I truly hope never again sees the light of day.

There are moments in life, usually small, insignificant moments, that make you realize, indisputably, you're grown-up. If two kids and a 1/5 share in a community snowblower weren't evidence enough, telling a 19-year old clerk you have a clogged toilet ought to do it. But then, a fit of giggles, the uncontrollable kind, struck as I was explaining who Swiper was and how he became lodged in the toilet (I forgot, see, that 19-year olds don't necessarily watch Treehouse and that something called 'swiper' is easily misunderstood when you're discussing toilets) and gave me hope that maybe I'm not 100% grown-up up after all. I certainly hope not.

No comments: