Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday: Queen West Art Crawl


The Queen West Art Crawl was this weekend and I've been looking forward to it all summer. It's my favourite festival because it's a mix of art + craft, it's totally low-key and we've always found something interesting and affordable and what could be better than that? Our five-year old couch may be from Sears but damn if we don't have some fine art on our walls. This year two things conspired against me and QWAC: torrential rain yesterday and today a busted washing machine. I'm used to things breaking down around here and normally I make a mental note to add it to the list for the handyman I'm planning to hire some day. But a washing machine just won't wait. Not with a sodden load of training pants inside. No sir.

We headed to Sears where we bought a replacement washer (a big old top-loading model with dials - a rebuke of the new-fangled electronic model that has let us down three times in the six years we've owned it). I really hate being a responsible adult sometimes. Penniless but back in the laundry game, we headed to the show. Between the no-money thing and the roaring coming from the stroller once Henry spotted a playground it was a quick visit, but a fruitful one. We bought a cool cowpoke painted on reclaimed wood for Henry's new room. Cute art for boys is hard to come by. I was really taken with this booth - love the monkeys in cow-hide chaps - and ended up buying several pieces for the shop. Henry's room is taking shape and I'll have pictures to share soon.

Post-script: While clearing a path in the laundry room in advance of the new machine's arrival tomorrow, the dead washer unexpectedly sprung to life. It's worked like a charm all night. No kidding.

No comments: