Sunday, September 28, 2008

spoiled for choice



As much as I love summer, fall is real good too.

Thank you, Lisa, for that super-fab comment last week. As the owner of a comment-challenged blog, I really do enjoy hearing from you. As for the house renovation, it's chugging along rather more slowly than I'd expected. We are still in the planning stages with an architect and a contractor who, no surprise, do not see eye-to-eye. We opted to not build a second story on our bungalow (money, time, hassle) so we are taking our inspiration from petite but efficiently-designed spaces - like Scandinavian apartments, NY hotels, even ship cabins - and making our every square inch useful and functional. If I get my act together I will scan and post some magazine images that I find inspiring.

What I have learned so far is that there is no telling an Ikea Abstrakt kitchen cabinet from an Italian high gloss that costs four times more. Also, there really is no such thing as "just taking out a wall." And granite counters are the sisal carpets of the kitchen; I'm going with Carrara marble - provided our house does not have asbestos. Yes. Asbestos. We learned years ago that the attic is probably insulated with something called Zonolite - a common DIY insulation back in the 1970s. In fact, our neighbour told us that one of the owners of our house worked for a company that sold Zonolite - a situation that would seem to render the $375 environmental analysis we have to do pointless. But we need to be sure before construction begins. Removal costs $1,000 a square foot. An obscene amount of money, money that I would much rather spend on a Carrara marble kitchen counter and a sink like this one. Fingers crossed good people.

No comments: