Tuesday, September 16, 2008

all in the family




The trees - I think they're lindens - that line our street shed branches like other trees drop leaves. Our walk and road is perpetually littered with twiglets. But where I see yard work Stella sees opportunity: she's been selling *chopsticks* made from their fallen branches. This morning they were "going for low" because of an over-inventory problem. A nickel bought me two (more) sets. God help me if she actually expects me to use them, because they are not really very chopstick-like at all. They are rough branches taped together with a bit of blue tape pilfered from my painting supplies. But the kid sells the sizzle not the steak. So I buy. Everyone does. She's made three bucks this week.

So a big YAY to Stephen Harper for his election announcement yesterday that he intends to extend maternity benefits to the self-employed. He's got my vote. Stella's too.

No comments: