Wednesday, September 24, 2008


Steve is away for a few days which means a) we had pancakes for dinner tonight, b) the kids were in bed at 8:00, and c) I am counting down to 10:00, a plate of cheese and grapes at my side (because carbs just go right through me). Flipping Out, my favourite show, is on and I can finally see just went down with Jenny and Chris without Steve rolling his eyes and muttering disapprovingly. Life is good.

My kids are used to me photographing their food, their feet and occasionally their faces, but taking pictures - with flash - while they're sleeping is new. When you live in a bungalow privacy and the separation of living and sleeping areas is something of an illusion. A game, really, but a game that we all play. At night we, the grown-ups, tuck the kids into bed and say good-night, and then we walk seven feet down the hallway to the living room/kitchen where we talk, make popcorn and watch television as if the kids couldn't hear a thing. This, even though I could hear them breathing if the TV weren't so damn loud. To their credit the kids stay in bed. And our part of the deal is that we ignore the scurrying, the giggling and the occasional thud that emanates from down the hall. Until they're asleep and then we investigate. Tonight I found Stella had created nice little sleeping dens for her favourite animals. I like that they're sleeping cozily in pairs. Along with her bed sheet and some clothes, that's her turquoise swimsuit bottom in the foreground. Kids are funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad your blogging again-I was about to erase your site from my favorites when I decided to click on it one more time,lucky for me! I had a good laugh when I read that Flipping Out is one of the shows you watch. I can't get enough of Zoila and Jeff, but seriously did you see his partner Ryan's home??!! Unbelievably gorgeous. I think the appeal of the show lies in the fact it is a combination of fluff and amazing design, a great combo if you ask me. Keep posting about your reno, I am always interested in anything home/design etc - it's a lot cheaper to check out blogs for my fix than it is to buy magazines(I'm trying to cut back to only 5 or 6 a month) I keep telling my husband that he is lucky my weaknesses are Jeff and mags it could be a lot worse. Thanks again for such an inspirational blog
Lisa