Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Damn it Lindor



I wish I knew how to quit you. I don't think about you all year, then one commercial announcing the arrival of Swiss Chalet's Festive Special and I'm sneaking around with drugstore truffles all Brokeback Mountain.



The tree has been trimmed. A bit hastily. I may have to re-do it, if I can't tame the perfectionist. It's a long story, and it begins just after I was married in 2001. We went on a weird red shopping spree, which must have had something to do with getting hitched before Christmas. Within days of returning from honeymoon we bought a red car (ugh), red bed linens (ugh) and a big bunch of these red Christmas tree lights from that twee Christmas store in Niagara on the Lake. Well over the next couple of years we disposed of the red car and the red duvet, and put away the red tree lights in favour of a post-modern green, white and silver tree. It was pretty, if perhaps a bit boring. This year after the whole thing was decorated I had a hankering for those old red lights. As you can see they do put on quite a glow. I haven't decided if it's a good glow or if it's a bit too much like that Kenny Rogers Roasters episode of Seinfeld. It was no easy task winding those suckers through an already decorated tree so I am reluctant to take them down again. If I have an overwhelming urge for roast chicken every night do I blame the Lindor addiction or do I blame the blazing red lights?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother in-law does not have room for a tree this year so she brought up these exact lights. Hers are vintage 60's though. She does love her red berry lights. I too have decorated already and was not up to the challenge of winding the lights in :o( sorry Grandma. But I will give her this picture of yours to look at when she is feeling blue this christmas.

angelique said...

Me too with the Lindor addiction - in my case, my father and stepmother sent them in their Christmas package, so my supply was precious and limited until your post gave me the dangerous idea that I could restock at the drugstore!

Can you tell I'm catching up on your blog (and everyone else's) after a long holiday for the holidays? I really enjoy it, by the way, if I have neglected to mention that before!