Thursday, December 13, 2007

antidote


Oh joy! A big fluffy snowfall - the very best kind with no wind, just juicy white flakes - is making me very happy this afternoon. Just what I needed after learning at 7:45 this morning that the Kindergarten Christmas pageant was in an hour. And then spending the rest of the morning at City Hall trying to procure a permit so I can hang a shingle outside my shop and get the show on the road already. Sheesh.

These globby things suspended from the tree are food for the family of birds that live in the eavestrough. Outside my bedroom window. I probably shouldn't be encouraging them to stay, but what the heck. We made these out of some internet recipe that goes like this:

1/2 cup peanut butter + 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (kind of gross but I guess not for birds)
Soften for a minute in the microwave, and then mix in enough corn meal + quick cooking oats + flour to make sticky balls. We also tossed in sunflower seeds. Pack in a ball shape around a length of twine (for hanging). Refrigerate to firm up. Et voila. An amuse-bouche for the birds.

No comments: