Friday, March 02, 2007

over the hills we go




With any luck, this will be the last weekend to dash through the snow on a horse-drawn sleigh. It is that time of year. I have had my fill of indoor playgrounds. We've worn out our welcome at Ikea's ball pit. And we have seen Happy Feet. Twice. But we're a year or two away from a family ski weekend in Muskoka, so what's left to do but find some local--and cheap--amusement. So tomorrow we are heading off to The Ranch for a sleigh ride through the snow-covered countryside. Hot chocolate and a campfire included!

Closer to Niagara, there's also this place suggested by my sister, but I can't quite bring myself to spend an afternoon at Uncle Porky's. No matter how good the hot dogs are supposed to be. Bad marketing, Uncle Porky. Bad marketing.

If you're game for a nice little drive and a low-key farm outing, I recommend Lionel's Pony Farm north of Markham. No sleigh rides, but the hay-filled barn and free petting zoo are good fun. Be sure to bring lots of carrots and veggie goodies for the goats and donkeys.

Happy weekend!

No comments: