Monday, March 26, 2007

cake, party hats and a rousing game of musical chairs




Yes, it was Henry's first birthday party on Saturday. We invited a small group of little friends and family to toast the birthday boy over Devil's Food cake, Oh Henry bars and plastic flutes of apple juice. A fine fete indeed. I love theme parties too, but I usually plan my parties around colours. I can't help it. I like things pretty.


I liked the varsity feeling of these blue and red checks and stripes, so with about $25 worth of fabric I made the invitations and this bunting:




The "hurray for henry" banner is just different fonts and colours printed out on card stock and strung along a length of ribbon. Crepe paper streamers from the dollar store are a must. So are balloons.



Mmmm. Buttercream icing + apricot whip. I had plenty of fabric left over to fashion a table cover, decorate party hats and stitch up little favour bags filled with sweets for the ride home.



The man of the hour was distracted by an erupting molar for most of the party, and there were cries of foul over the winning stab at pin the tail on the donkey - not because it wasn't the closest but because the winner had already won two prizes in musical chairs and the egg hunt - but it was otherwise a delightful afternoon.


No comments: