Monday, March 05, 2007

365 days old




It's Henry's first birthday in a couple of weeks. There is something so special and sweet about first birthdays, isn't there? I'm quite excited to start planning and making. It's a red, blue and white party. First order of business: invitations. I found this great varsity font here for free.
Next up: fabric favour bags. They're just 11" x 8" lengths of fabric sewn up one long and one short side, right sides together, pinked across the top and tied with a contrasting fabric bow. Easy-peasy, reusable and adorable, if I do say so myself. And it would not be a Morell production without colourful banners hung from the rafters, so those are cut and waiting to be stitched together. Some other goodies are in the works; I'll post as I go along.

A year ago I'd have been at a complete loss for a party theme. You see, boy-ish things never appealed to me. When the ultrasound revealed we were having a boy my thoughts turned to decorating. As in bad decorating: planes, trains and automobiles. Dinosaurs. Power Rangers. Or, gasp, The Leafs. It must have been kismet that Sarah Richardson happened to be sitting two chairs away from me when we got the you're-having-a-boy news. I wondered if she was having a boy, what would she do? I imagined pale grey pinstripes and baby chick yellow. Robin's egg blue and orange. All white. Or cream with hits of red. It turns out that she had a girl. And the nursery is luxe. But it all comes out in the wash: it seems that I do like boys and boy-ish things after all. Just my kind of boyish.

No comments: