Monday, February 19, 2007

reclaim, recycle, reuse




I've been thinking lately about coming up with a useful + pretty alternative to paper gift wrap. We accumulate dozens of gift bags after each party and while they're sturdy enough, I always feel a bit cheap reusing them (am I alone in this?) but I can't stand to throw them out. So they pile up in furnace room (it's best not to ask) until the annual street sale in May when I use them to package purchases.

So how about a fabric gift bag? I can think of, oh, at least a hundred re-uses for this post-party. I made this pouch with thrifted fabric on the front and natural muslin on the back and lining. It's a Celine Dupuy pattern. I think I'll make them in a few different sizes and lots of different fabrics I've thrifted over the year: corduroy and ticking stripes, toile, old linen tea towels, pretty florals.

Thanks by the way, for your encouraging words about my decorating woes. I'm not quite ready to call in the professionals: I'm planning a second attempt this weekend. In daylight. With extra glue.

No comments: