Thursday, February 08, 2007

the planet has enough furniture


So begins the sort-of manifesto of the Brothers Dressler. It's a bold statement coming from two guys who build furniture - gorgeous furniture I covet - but twin brothers Jason and Lars make a good point. And so they've created a successful, small-by-choice building practice guided by the desire to create beautiful objects with purposeful design and minimal ecological impact.
Their philosophy resonates. On my daily walk to the post office I pass a couple of Store for Rent signs. I get the occasional call asking where I'm located so, naturally, opening a physical shop is something I've considered. But then I wonder would anyone come to my store? What would I fill it with? How can I be there seven days a week and still have a family life? The conversation always ends when I ask myself "Does Toronto need another baby store?"

Feeling a bit of pressure to add new things to my online shop, I attended the Gift Show last week. Imagine the entire International Centre's 9 cavernous rooms given over to booth after booth after booth filled with stuff. I've only been to the show once before, three years ago when I first started Honeybunch, and I knew within minutes last week that I was in the wrong place. Not that all of it was awful, but just so much that was...nyeh. So I left, empty-handed but with a renewed sense of purpose.


I realize that I don't want to be big. I like being small. I like personally answering every email. I like selling things that I love, that I use, that are designed with purpose. I like having the time to cook risotto from scratch on a Thursday night. Taking an afternoon nap with my son. Missing the 8:00 airing of Lost and staying up with my husband to watch it at midnight. Enjoying a snow storm instead of worrying about having to drive home in it. So for now, at least, I'll stay small. And, hopefully, purposeful.









No comments: