Sunday, November 12, 2006


Technically I'm on vacation. But the wireless Internet works in the lanai. And by the pool. So what's a self-employed girl to do? I've got two things on my mind this week: illustrations for the new website (coming February) and Christmas prezzies. After a lengthy flirtation with modern, I'm once again loving crafty, handmade things. Pining for them, in fact. And so I've decided to only buy handmade and independent this year. It makes me happy.

So far I bought these pretty cards printed with soy ink on paper embedded with wild flower seeds, so you can actually plant the card in the garden when you're done admiring it. Isn't that clever? And this terribly cute bird made from vintage wool boucle from here.

I like to think that what my own handiwork lacks in polish is made up in enthusiasm, so I'm going to attempt these silly embroidered vegetables on a set of tea towels for a friend.

One concession to the non-handmade holiday, is the Tord Boontje collection at, yes, Target. I picked up the last two packs of the lovely laser cut paper garland pictured above ($5.99 each) and some possibly garish garland I might regret. Along with the jade green eye shadow duo. I simply cannot contain myself at that store. I hope it never comes to Canada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll take anything handmade for the holiday gift giving season, even a pot holder (!) over the rows and rows of bland, same old stuff in the crowded, flourescent blinding, over heated department stores anyday!

Why is it all the 'learning' toys for babes & kids require batteries; doesn't the automatic bling of lights/sounds and other doo-dads take away from the 'learning' part? Why do all toys have to 'do' something; a toy lawnmower can't be left at that, it has to make bubbles, play music & speak in 5 languages. Funny how the Playskool rotary telephone with the funny face of my childhood (only mid 70's, folks) is now deemed 'retro', somehow the pretend cell phone doesn't have as much charm.