Monday, October 02, 2006


You can get like a 2 kg tub of Oxyclean for $6 at Target. I buy several at a time because it's the only thing I've found that can ususally get out whatever winds up on this kid's clothes (reminder: donate smocks to daycare).

I wasn't prepared to toss this brand-new T in the bin after one day at nursery school. It came home with some pretty permanent blue stains on it that even my beloved Oxyclean wasn't shifting.

But sometimes life hands you an opportunity. Sitting on the hard bare wood floor outside your kid's room night after night after night while they fall asleep (monsters, lions and bears. Oh my) gives a person lots of time to think, sew, maybe learn to crochet. Oh yes, I now crochet. And so Saturday night I came up with a solution to this double-jointed problem. Something that would pass the hour or so I spend sitting on the hard, bare wood floor outside Stella's room, and something that would reinvent that poor stained t-shirt. The apple is made from a scrap of denim, the stem is grograin ribon and the leaf is a bit of wool felt. All wobbily stitched on with embroidery floss. But isn't it cute?

The rubber duck, by the way, is Stella's latest ploy to get us to buy her a pet. She's been gingerly carrying this sodden thing around all weekend in a desperate attempt to prove she can take care of a live animal.

No comments: