Tuesday, August 26, 2008

reno fever


Beautiful bathroom by Brown Design.


I *heart* Jeff Lewis. And I don't care who knows it.

We are gearing up for a make-over of the tired, old bungalow. A real make-over. With an architect's drawings, a proper contractor and six months worth of Tums in the medicine cabinet. My clippings file swells by the day. I talk to myself in the car, debating the merits of a Carrara marble kitchen counter or new appliances (we can't do both). I look for inspiration in many places, but none more frequently than Jeff Lewis' deluxe pads - all of which are many, many, many square feet larger than our humble home, but I believe small yet well-appointed spaces can be beautiful too.

I was perusing the advice column in a waiting room magazine yesterday when I experienced a moment of self-awareness: some soul queried "When should I be worried that I'm too involved in a TV show?" I've had television crushes before (Lost, Dexter, Flight of the Conchords, Mad Men and once, ahem, the OC) but my love for Flipping Out and all things Jeff Lewis has become a little problematic in a one-television household. Apparently watching the same episode twice is being "hoggy" but watching online until the wee hours is "concerning."

Yes, Jeff Lewis is a mad genius. I personally thing Chris Kesslar was a big baby for not stealing the neighbour's avocados. Say what you will about Jeff and co., you have to admit they make beautiful homes. Ryan Brown, Jeff's partner on the show, has his own LA-based design outfit, and I was delighted and, yes, just a little bit validated that he used the Jonathan Adler bamboo chandelier I've chosen for my decidedly less-grand foyer. Do you love it or do you love it?


No comments: