Saturday, August 16, 2008

life through the zoom lens



You might recall that I received a new camera, a Rebel DSLR, for my birthday back in January. I wanted a "real" camera for some time, having run up against the limitations of my trusty instamatic Fuji Finepix. Don't get me wrong: you can take a damn good picture with a slim silver, but I wanted to do more. As it turns out, it was a bit like trading in a Saturn for a Porsche. Too much power. The LCD screen was dizzying. The 3-page menu inscrutable. The manual settings eluded me. In the eight months since I got it I haven't taken a decent picture. The logical thing would be to take a course and learn how to drive this thing properly, and I'd still like to do that, but the other day I took a closer look at the instruction manual and when the answer to my vexing exposure problems presented itself I yelled out aha! and began snapping.

This one is probably a little over-exposed, but I like Stella's expression. It's not often I catch a contemplative moment.




Playing around with the self-timer. Blurry, yes, but I like it.

1 comment:

Carmi Cimicata said...

So glad you are back!