Friday, December 21, 2007

maybe just one more stocking stuffer



Mr. Elephant joins the dog and the monkey. I really love this book but I've discovered the instructions can be deceptively spare - resulting in a frighteningly homely softy. Like Mr. Elephant here with his unravelly ears. Tip #1: find 100% cotton or 100% wool socks. Lycra's a killer to work with. Tip #2: ignore the instructions and sew the head on the body before attaching the ears. I had to redo those ears twice - twice!- to get the positioning right. Tip #3: Japanese socks are surely smaller than Canadian because I had to trim the arms, trunk and legs to get the proportions right.

So yep, this dude took two nights and about 3.5 hours to make. But like most of my projects the pain is forgotten the minute the last stitch (a very satisfying blanket stitch - my new favourite) is made. So much so that I'm eyeing a pair of argyle socks after seeing this zebra. So super cute.

Happy weekend friends.

2 comments:

meg said...

I had a tough time with the elephant too. I found the trunk instructions totally confusing! But homely and adorable in the end. I love your contrasting blanket stitch (and your great blog).

Nicole Morell said...

Thanks Meg! I'm still hankering after your argyle zebra.