Thursday, April 24, 2008

a place for everything




Despite my well-documented issues with clutter, I am magnetically attracted to the promise of organization. I crave a simpler life. One filled with less stuff. And yet, paradoxically, I am able to discard very little. So it all gets shelved or binned or, more likely, piled and stacked to be dealt with at a later date. Or until someone stages an intervention (please!). I'd been meaning to make myself a lunch tote, and had every intention of making a lunch tote, but wound up making a wall pocket organizer last night. Another place to stash things. Exciting.

The white backing is an old Ikea curtain panel and the yellow dahlia fabric, a thrifted sheet. All in, I'd say just shy of three hours total project time. If I could cut a straight length of fabric the first time, that would save a good 30 minutes. The pattern is based on one from Celine Dupuy's book, but I made mine shorter, narrower and I stuck three tabs on top instead of the grommets that were called for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I could have written that first paragraph... Well, up until you started talking about your project, which is lovely, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that first paragraph sounds like me too- I crave order and less clutter, but can't seem to actually do it.
Your organizer looks great!

Lois Kim said...

Nicole, I love this project- esp with the branch! Need to get my clutter under control too. ugh.

Lois Kim said...

PS- It's Lois

Anonymous said...

I have this book as well and have been wanting to make this project for a while...brilliant idea to use an ikea panel....

Nicole Morell said...

PS. Thanks for the comments!

I bought a huge bunch of willow branches at Ikea a few years ago and now whenever I need a dowel or some improvised hanging structure, I use a branch. They're amazingly strong and I like the more natural look of the branch Vs. a machined dowel.