Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Welcome Home Baby"


So said Steve after we landed in Buffalo late Saturday night, shuttled to the economy parking lot and found our car battery had died. And just like that, the holiday was over. Although we did return a happier, more connected, tanned and just a little bit fatter family and, dead battery or no, the glow of a well-earned vacation hasn't entirely faded away. Turns out that, for us anyway, managing two kids is lot easier than managing one. I was proud and not a little relieved at what good friends Stella and Henry have become, and at how nicely they play together. Happy too that for the first time I could observe their play from beneath a beach umbrella 15 feet away. Good times.

You might think today's little snowfall is hard to take, but truthfully I'm enchanted. Who doesn't love the first snow? It makes me want to break out the Sufjan Stevens and a wooly throw. I'm hankering for a new craft project. Something easy. One night. Perhaps two. Any ideas? My mantra (partly lifted from the editor's letter of an old Domino magazine) is tradition, family & peace. My usual messy to-do list is simple this year: a horse-drawn sleigh ride with friends, perhaps here, a working fireplace, a neighbourly open house (to celebrate the working fireplace), a singularly delicious cookie that I will bake and give to everyone I know (Anna, I'm coming for your recipe!), a pretty front porch. All will be calm.

No comments: